Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Video Review

I choose to watch Abstract Expressionism and Pop: Art of the '50s and '60s, Uncertainty: Modernity and Art, Hockney on Photography and The Art of Henry Moore.  I choose to watch Abstract Expressionism because throughout the semester we have learned several times about expressionism and every time seemed to vary in some way, so I thought it would be interesting to watch this video and learn more about it.  I choose Uncertainty because it seemed like an interesting video and that the information within it was interesting.  I choose Hockney because his name has also come up throughout the semester and he seems like an interesting artist that I would like to learn more about.  And finally I choose Henry Moore because his name has come up also throughout the semester as well outside of school and his artwork is fascinating to me. 

During Abstract Expressionism it was interesting to learn about Kline and his piece called C & O.  Think video talked a lot about this piece and how to think and feel what the painting feels.  It is also important to use your imagination to understand art and what the artist is trying to say.  It is also interesting to learn that the way paint is laid out on a canvas effects the way we view a piece of art.  It was also interesting how the 1950's was a important time for artists in NY.  Uncertainty talked about Greek statues and how they reference Greek gods.  Another thing I learn was the view of a statue is supposed to represent the way men should be viewed.  The video also talked about the important transition artists had to face between the 50s and 60s.  The Hockney video was interesting because a lot of the video was Hockney discussing his artwork and how he created it.  It was interesting to see his artwork because the way he uses photography is different than the normal fashion, he uses the same image but in multiple pieces.  He also discussed how in his artwork he angels pieces a certain way because the shadow a piece gives is important also the angel he positions things so they do not appear flat.  The Henry Moore video was interesting because it discussed how sculptors should not write or express their feelings because they need to use all they have in creating a piece.  Henry Moore is considered to the be greatest artist of the 20th century, not only because of his sculptors but because of the way he studied his objects.  He created many sculptors that can be used as memorial and would last a long time.

Each of these video relates to the textbook in it's own way.  I did notice different from previous weeks that these video's did not solely focus on the two chapters we read but also was a part of previous chapters from this semester.  Expressionism has been talked about many different times this semester in many different situations.  Greek gods and sculptors have also been talked about just a few weeks ago.  Hockney's artwork has been on display throughout the textbook as well as been talked about.  And Moore is just such an influential artist he is discussed frequently.

As always, I enjoyed watching these films.  These films just added depth to the information I have already learned this semester about art.  Seeing images and explanations to the pieces of artwork allows me to understand things more clearly and remember them.  I enjoyed learning more about Hockney and Moore because I enjoy the type of art they create and the influence they have on today world of art.

No comments:

Post a Comment